[nycbug-talk] Updating a port

Peter Wright pete at nomadlogic.org
Tue Dec 12 10:58:55 EST 2006

> I'd like to update a port (lang/jruby) and I'm looking for a mentor.
> I've read the Porter's Handbook and I think I mostly understand what
> is going on.
>
> I've never worked with ports before. For updating one, what should the
> first step be? Should I copy /usr/ports/lang/jruby to another
> directory and start modifying stuff, or should I just start fresh,
> considering the port is a few versions old (0.5.3 to 0.9.2)?

The first thing I would do would be to import the current branch of the
jruby tree into a source code management repository like subversion or
CVS, this should help you create patches against the FreeBSD tree.  the
ports tree is available publicly from FreeBSD mirrors via CVS.

next, i would get in touch with the port maintainer to see if the
modifications you have in mind are already being worked on.  if not i'm
sure the maintainer will be willing to help you with specific issues you
may run into.  it looks like:
knu at freebsd.org
is the current maintainer.

HTH.