[nycbug-talk] OpenBSD and blobs

michael lists at genoverly.net
Thu Dec 14 11:12:00 EST 2006

On Thu, 14 Dec 2006 10:17:33 -0500
"Marc Spitzer" <mspitzer at gmail.com> wrote:

> On 12/14/06, Jeff Quast <af.dingo at gmail.com> wrote:
> > The windows driver wraps, binary blobs, and drivers under NDA out
> > there and the users who accept them are an absolute shame to the
> > cause of the open source community. The attitude of "I just want it
> > to work" is short sighted, selfish, and harmful.
>
> I just want it to work is a perfectly reasonable attitude for an end
> user to have.  I as an end user need wireless on my laptop this is how
> I do it.  Now this is how I do it is the interesting bit, do I use a
> blob or just install windows or linux?  All three work and I need
> wireless, I do not need xBSD nearly as much.  If some one wants to
> provide a different alternitive, open source driver for example, fine
> but t it is not on the table yet is it?
>
> marc

I have wireless in my laptop and an AP at home.  I run OpenBSD and "it
just works".

Frankly, we don't need xBSD or wireless or anything *that* badly.  But
when we do, we have choices.  As a user (and like the above post), I
paid for the hardware and want to use it.  I support the spirit behind
open source drivers and chose not to use binary drivers.

I chose a model by a vendor that has provided documentation and is
supported by the project.

While I see/hear the argument to blindly accept binary drivers, I don't
understand the choice to do so... as per reasons stated already. Nobody
is forcing anyone to make the choice of using binary drivers.. people
make that choice on their own.  And, as stated by many, to the
detriment of others.

I had a choice; and after careful thought, believe I made the right one.

You have a choice.

--

michael