[nycbug-talk] confusion with NetBSD's PKG_OPTIONS

Scott Robbins scottro
Mon Jan 2 18:01:09 EST 2006

On Mon, Jan 02, 2006 at 05:32:40PM -0500, Jan Schaumann wrote:
> Scott Robbins <scottro at nyc.rr.com> wrote:
>
> > Interesting.  Apparently not yet well-documented, the packages man page
> > doesn't even mention the show-options target.
>
> But it does include the following blurb of information in bold right at
> the top:
>
> DESCRIPTION
>      This manual page is obsolete.  Please refer the pkgsrc guide at
>      /usr/pkgsrc/doc/pkgsrc.txt or /usr/pkgsrc/doc/pkgsrc.html.  The
>      contents of this manual page will be moved there as time permits.

Hrrm, my man page doesn't have that.  This is a fresh install of 3.0.  I
was having trouble with the pkgsrc from 12.31, so the pkgsrc is from the
week before or so.

> I agree that the documentation on the website you cited in the other
> mail could lead to misunderstandings like yours.  I've added a
> clarification to the docs.
>
> -Jan

You and Amitai quickly cleared it up, however, for which I thank both of
you.

I do think that a line or two of examples would quickly clarify it for
the reader.

As for mk.conf being deprecated, as I said, I think that was simply due
to not having enough sleep and missing the point of the paragraph. So,
that part of my misunderstanding is something that can probably be
safely ignored.

> --
> Except most of the good bits were about frogs, I remember that.
> You would not believe some of the things about frogs.

Heh, I didn't see any entries about frogs in the man page.  :)

- --

Scott Robbins

PGP keyID EB3467D6
( 1B48 077D 66F6 9DB0 FDC2 A409 FA54 EB34 67D6 )

Willow: I don't care if it is an orgy of death, there's
still such a thing as a napkin.