[nycbug-talk] NFS in FreeBSD

Francisco Reyes lists
Tue Jan 3 16:42:34 EST 2006

pete wright writes:

> I hate to say it but the man pages are probably your best bet with
> specific utilities like nfsstat.

thanks for the feedback.. one example of when that is not the case (for me)
was vmstat. Could not make sense of the man page, but once I read Absolute
BSD.. and the section covering performance. It made much more sense to me.

> In the past I spent a fair amount of time tuning my NFS servers using
> ttcp/dd and other basic utilites.

Will take a look at those.

>  I think it really depends on your
> specific environment.

Mail. IMAP and POP3.

>  I had relativly few clients, but they where
> writting large files over gig-e.

We have the opposite. Lots of connections... to small files.

> the nfs server, when dealing with large files you want to have as many
> spindles as possible doing I/O.

The current server predates me and it was done with RAID 5... which is a
poor choice for lots of small writes. the new server due in productino soon
will be RAID 10.