[nycbug-talk] Building FreeBSD packages without installing

Charles Sprickman spork
Tue Jan 10 02:07:05 EST 2006

Hi all,

I'm building a few hundred ports that will get shoved to another machine
when done.  I have no desire to actually have these ports installed on the
build machine...  Looking at the ports manpage and the handbook, this is
not possible ("make package" and "make package-recursive" install then
build the pkg from the installed files).

I know OpenBSD handles this well, in fact they seem to default to building
a package and THEN install that.  Very nifty.

Are there any tricks to emulate this behaviour in FreeBSD, like somehow
installing into a dummy hierarchy?

Thanks,

Charles