[nycbug-talk] source install, management and help

Francisco Reyes lists
Wed Jan 11 00:16:23 EST 2006

Steve Rieger writes:

> i am in the need to install the same source packages, (i dont like
> prebuilt binaries, and there are way to many differences than the
> standard port system) on about 14 servers, is there any tool that you
> know of that will allow me to save my configure, make and other
> options, either as a wrapper or as a plain script.

I try to stay away from source install, but I had to do the task.. I would
do the following.

Pick a "build system"... preferably a machine not in production.. and with
nothing going on ... or a Jail.

Do an mtree of the entire disk.
Install.
Do another metree and see where all the files went...
That list can be used as part of your "uninstall".

If all the machines are up to the same level.. or all have compatibility
mode I you could possibly build the package on the lowest denominator (ie
build on a 4.X machine... if using FreeBSD). Using the same list from the
mtree exercise you could make a tar file to copy to the other machines..
including configuration files.

Scripts will be primarily to configure files/components which change
according to the machine.

If you need to compile on each machine, the mtree file would still be
usefull for when you need to delete an old compile.