[nycbug-talk] porting a script from linux to freebsd

Dru dlavigne6
Wed Jan 11 14:15:48 EST 2006

On Wed, 11 Jan 2006, David Rio Deiros wrote:

> Hi there,
>
> I am porting a linux script to freebsd. The script gathers kernel
> information (cpu, memory, I/O , etc...) using linux
> commands like sar and free.
>
> I have been able to find most of the "equivalents" commands in freebsd
> but I am sucked with some of them:
>
> 1. linux command (sar -u) - [ iowait ]
>
> The man pages tells me this about iowait: were idle during
> which the system had an outstanding disk I/O request.
>
> 2. linux command (sar -u) - [ cnice ]
>
> The man page says: Percentage of CPU utilization that
> occurred while executing at the user level with nice priority.
>
> 3. linux command (free) - [ buffers/cache ]
>
> -/+ buffers/cache:     300600     213052
>
> The linux man isn't very precise on the explanation:
>
> free  displays the total amount of free and used physical and swap mem-
> ory in the system, as well as the buffers  used  by  the  kernel
>
> It is my understanding that free is showing the amount of memory
> that the kernel has allocated for internal (kernel) use.
>
> 4. linux command (sar -P ALL) - [ %idle of all the CPUs ]
>
> I couldn't find a program in freebsd that shows me that.
>
> Thanks for your help in advance,

I've never seen sar output but I think you should be able to get most
of what you're looking for in iostat, systat, and vmstat. Read the 3
associated manpages as each command's output is very configurable,
depending upon what you want to look at.

Dru