[nycbug-talk] porting a script from linux to freebsd

pete wright nomadlogic
Wed Jan 11 14:57:03 EST 2006

On 1/11/06, David Rio Deiros <driodeiros at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Wed, Jan 11, 2006 at 02:15:48PM -0500, Dru wrote:
> > On Wed, 11 Jan 2006, David Rio Deiros wrote:
> >
> > >Hi there,
> > >
> > >I am porting a linux script to freebsd. The script gathers kernel
> > >information (cpu, memory, I/O , etc...) using linux
> > >commands like sar and free.
>
> > I've never seen sar output but I think you should be able to get most
> > of what you're looking for in iostat, systat, and vmstat. Read the 3
> > associated manpages as each command's output is very configurable,
> > depending upon what you want to look at.
>
> Thanks for you answer Dru.
>
> I am already using those commands to get *most* of
> the information I am looking for but I am still stucked with the ones
> I sent on my first email.

there is a port of sar (which is not linux specific BTW I know it
works on SCO for instance, so you may be able to compile the gnu sar
utility):
/net/sysutils/bsdsar

although, I believe there are more elegant way's to collect this info
than via sar on BSD (using iostat systat for example).  The
documentation is very good as well for these utilities.  Regarding the
"free" command, you can get this info via vmstat.  Running it with no
switches will show your the avail memory and free memory.  Again, the
doc for vmstat is very helpful.

HTH
-pete

--