[nycbug-talk] FreeBSD completely headless install?

Massimiliano Stucchi stucchi
Thu Jan 12 04:43:49 EST 2006

On 110106, 12:58, George R. wrote:

> On Jan 11, 2006, at 12:56 PM, Jay Savage wrote:
>
> >This may have been discussed before, but I couldn't find anything.
> >
> >I need to install FreeBSD 6. The computer I have available is
> >currently running as a headless server (OBSD 3.6) and the monitor,
> >keyboard, and anything else useful are instorage due to a recent move.
> >I don't even have a null modem cable at the moment, which might
> >simplify matters.
> >
> >My ideal here would be a live cd, or even floppy that booted with some
> >generic drivers, grabbed an ip from dhcp, and started sshd from a
> >known port with a known password so that I could start sysinstall from
> >the command line. It's seems intuitive enough, but I haven't been able
> >to find anything like it.
> >
> >Does anyone have a suggestion?
>

> I may be wrong, but I believe that FreeSBIE would do this. . . maybe
> depending on your nic.

FreeSBIE autoconfigures every NIC it finds, and starts dhclient on that.
SSHd starts at boot time, but we made a silly mistake in that there's
only the freesbie user, which is passwordless... so login via ssh won't
work.

Another showstopper is the fact that you'll have to press enter a couple
times to get to the prompt, due to the choice of the keyboard layout and
of the type of system you want to get to (shell only, XFCE, Fluxbox), so
FreeSBIE 1.1 is a no-no at this point.

I really recommend giving a look at the FreeSBIE 2.0 toolkit, which
we're working on at the moment.  It lets you create a new ISO in 10
minutes, and it's really easy to work with.  You can find it in our CVS
repository.

I'm sorry, but the FreeSBIE ISO was designed to be more user-friendly
than being admin-friendly, as we thought admins could easily grab the
toolkit and create their own. :)

Ciao !

PS: I'm going to subscrbie to this list
--