[nycbug-talk] nullfs, jails and quotas

Isaac Levy ike
Sat Jan 14 16:33:49 EST 2006

Hi Charles, All,

On Jan 12, 2006, at 10:40 PM, Charles Sprickman wrote:

> Ike,
>
> I've seen that warning, and I think we've discussed it here before
> as well.  My problem is that I did not really think about this when
> I turned on quotas.  I was simply using nullfs to get the host's
> ports tree into the jail, and normally I unmount it when I'm done
> mucking about.

Ok- I  have a solid solution for you- File-backed memory filesystems
(disk images, if you grok apple livin').

I put a recipe in my lecture at Shmoo here, I'll post it to this list
if anyone requests it.  But better, it's a simple direct application
of the following howto:

http://www.freebsd.org/doc/en_US.ISO8859-1/books/handbook/disks-
virtual.html

My thought is you could have 1 disk image with the ports tree on it,
and mount it readonly in the jails, over and over...  You could even
mount it read/write on one jail, and update it from that one jail...

Why do I reccommend this? mdconfig(8) is VERY heavily supported, and
it's base is used in the 'new' mechanisms to mount things like devfs
and procfs (new as of 5.x branch...).

Hope that helps you solve that problem?

Rocket-
.ike