[nycbug-talk] Dynamic DNS MX Records

Jonathan Vanasco nycbug-list
Tue Jan 17 12:22:24 EST 2006

I wouldn't trust any mail on a dynamic dns - you're apt to have
something come in during that window that you've just switched to a
new ip and the old ip is still out there.  all the other MTA would
have to do is accept the message to delay (if they later bounce) or
keep you from ever getting it (if they devnull).  either way, that's
a big security issue.  you could set the mx as a string name to a
dyndns server, but most mtas do caching now of a few hours -- and
then whatever local resolver you have on that machine is apt to cache
for a while.    also remember - chances are your MTA is the best set
up one you'll interface with.  there are a lot of POORLY operating
ones out there - either because they were designed regardless of RFC,
or they were configured by an idiot.

I would either:
	a_ just use a constant dependable ip box for mail
	b_ find someone with the box above, or a service as above, and then
use that as a 'world facing' MX that only knows the valid addresses
-- no need to process mail.  have your local box connect to that to
retreive all the mail for processing on your lan.  there are a lot of
recipes for stuff like that in the exim documentation.  i'm sure
postfix or qmail would handle that well too.