[nycbug-talk] Dynamic DNS MX Records

Jonathan jonathan
Tue Jan 17 12:32:28 EST 2006

Ray Lai wrote:
> Hi Nycbuggers,
>
> I'm currently paying $60/month for Speakeasy for two static IPs.
> (Really, one is enough.) This is because I have my own web server
> and, more importantly, my own mail server.  I am looking to use
> Verizon's $14.95/month DSL, but I'm pretty sure they use dynamic
> IPs and I will need to set up dynamic DNS entries.
>
> What are people's thoughts and experiences on this?  Has anyone
> lost mail due to this setup?  Are there alternatives?

I've been running my mail server on a dynamic IP for over a year now
without problems.  I have my domain, DNS service and backup MX through
no-ip.com for a pretty reasonable price.  It's cheap enough that I don't
even remember how much it is, I just renew each year when it expires.  I
would guess about $75 a year or so.

Jonathan