IPv6 Migrations (was) Re: [nycbug-talk] Re: some comments on Shmoo. . .

Isaac Levy ike
Thu Jan 19 10:49:50 EST 2006

Word,

On Jan 19, 2006, at 10:30 AM, George R. wrote:

> Isaac Levy wrote:
>> Correction Gman,
>> On Jan 18, 2006, at 11:12 PM, George R. wrote:
>>> This isn't the west coast, japan or europe where the BSDs have a
>>> higher profile... We're in a boring stuffy city of finance
>>> firms. ;-)
>> < .02?
>> Don't forget the folks like me who work primarily with creative,
>> media, and design-engineering firms- I see BSD UNIX all over
>> town... (sure, it's MacOSX, but...)
>> :P
>
> Oh, now I'm sure *they're* all set for IPv6 ;-'

Well, actually, yes- much better than the business community.

The Layer1 network infrastructure is generally much 'dumber' in media
circles, (relatively little Layer2/3 switching, cheaper routers,
etc...)  This is mostly because IT hasn't really been a core profit
center for media businesses, so they don't spend as much on it.
With that, their routers are really the only things which need
replacing for IPV6- so they have it cheap there.  Also, they'll be
simpler to deploy, as the networks are generally more modular and
broken up into little self-maintaining chunks (at least more modular
than I've seen at many finance firms, large and small).

At the IP layer, they simply need the proliferation of more mature
routers, at varying scales- (easier to use and deploy en' masse).
Think Linksys, Netgear, this is your queue- get on the ball...

At the workstation end of the IP layer, it's a lot of Macs, so not a
big deal there- they have Gui's to set IPV6 network settings.
There's not many other legacy OS's to deal with, and the Windows
machines that can't do IPV6 are few and far between.

At the application layer end of things, realistically, people will
need: file servers, (Samba does IPV6), and Web Servers (Apache does
IPV6- as does every other relevant web/application server with any
user base these days).  Common languages like Python, PHP, Perl; all
in active use in 'media' businesses, are all ready for IPV6.

--
So reporting tersely from this side, 'my world' is fairly ready for
IPV6, seems to me the network hardware vendors, and in-particular the

Rocket-
.ike