[nycbug-talk] FreeBSD on an Abit AN8 SLI

Aditya Chadha nycbug
Thu Jan 19 17:33:07 EST 2006

Hello,

I'm new to FreeBSD and just got 6.0-STABLE set up on a new box with an
Abit AN8 SLI motherboard with on-board wired ethernet. Unfortunately
it doesn't look like 6.0-STABLE has stable support for the nve0
ethernet device since I can't even get it to get an IP using dhclient
(keep getting device timeout errors).

Googling for nve0 leads me to believe that a fix may have been
committed to src/sys/dev/if_nve.c very recently but I'm not sure if
there is a way to burn an ISO of -current that I can then use to
recognize my on-board ethernet? I also have a trendnet 802.11g pci
card that doesn't even show up on pciconf for some weird reason (it is
unsupported but this makes me wonder if the motherboard is even
recognizing the card at all?).

I suppose my question really is this: is there a way to get to
-current without network connectivity of any sort? or, would it just
be much simpler to buy a supported NIC (~$20) and use that to go
-current?

-A