IPv6 Migrations (was) Re: [nycbug-talk] Re: some comments on Shmoo. . .

QuiGon quigon
Sun Jan 22 01:57:43 EST 2006

George R. wrote:

> I think you and your buddy Mark were wildly more interesting than me,
> Ike and (our) Marc.  Maybe just to us since we see each other all the
> time. <g>

We all do what we can for the community, which is why I consider groups
like this "home".  :-)  Not much ego going on, just good info sharing.

>> FL for the conference.  I will say I've used archives of your list quite
>> a bit in troubleshooting issues I've had with *BSD.  I look forward to
>

> That's the highest form of flattery this list could have.  This isn't
> the west coast, japan or europe where the BSDs have a higher profile...
> We're in a boring stuffy city of finance firms. ;-)

The BSDs have the best IPv6 stack, period.  Novell doesn't even deny
where they got their IPv6 stack.  Just load "bsdsock.nlm", and you'll
have IPv6 on Novell 6.*.  Go figure....

>> attending (or speaking, as George has insisted, on IPv6) one of the NYC
>

> well, why don't you tell them why.  I don't just invite people since
> they're from Florida or something ;-'

Awww....thought you'd want us to bring some of our weather with us...:-P.

I'm a security subject matter expert for the North American IPv6 Task
Force ( www.nav6tf.org ).  I've been speaking on IPv6 for about 2 years
now, with venues including Defcon 12 and other hacker cons.  I shared
with George certain projects our group is working on, but I'd rather not
share them on a public mailing list (feel free to email me with a GPG
key if you really wanna know....but don't be surprised if MIBs show up
at your house the next day....;-)).  Beyond that, I'm just your average
joe in the south that likes computers and breaking them (granted, that
might not be too average for the south).

>> BUG meetings in the near future.  It's communities like this and
>> conferences like ShmooCon that keep my faith in humanity alive.  Thanks
>> for your help, and keep up the good work.
>>

> Welcome aboard. . . looking forward to you raising a discussion on IPv6
> migration in the US. ..  I know there are many others to chime in on
> this, including Alex at Pilosoft, the NYI guys, Spork from BWay, and
> that's just some those with ISPs/hosting firms. . .
>
> You raised interesting stuff on IPv6 migration.  We all know that the US
> drags its feet on it since the US has control of most of the public
> network addresses.  And Japan is full steam ahead with implementation by
> 2008 (?) and so is China.

Thank you.  I hope I can give as much help as y'all have given me
(damned southern accent).

China's pissed (understandably) that Stanford University has more IPv4
addresses than they do.  The US has 70% of the IPv4 publically routable
IP addresses, which is why most US companies could care less about v6.
I liken this to the cell phone industry.  Most other countries are
spanking us in this area because we have become complacent with what we
have.  Asia and Europe came into the game later, so they have less
invested in the old technology, allowing them to upgrade to newer tech
faster.

As far as migration....we have a chicken and egg problem.  Nobody wants
to adopt the protocol, so (mostly) nobody wants to write applications
for it.  There aren't many applications for it, so nobody wants to adopt
it.  Once "the killer app (say....ehh...IPv6 only pr0n) is released,
adoption will increase.

> What are the concrete steps others are taking in this direction.  NAT
> and dominance of IPv4 only takes US isv's so far. . .

NAT sucks...:-P  Too many admins consider it a security mechanism, when
all it is is a bandaid to keep IPv4 around another 20 years....

--QuiGon