[nycbug-talk] Re: wasabi

Bob Ippolito bob
Mon Jan 23 15:25:40 EST 2006

On Jan 23, 2006, at 12:09 PM, Marco Scoffier wrote:

> On Mon, Jan 23, 2006 at 02:54:36PM -0500, Johnny Lam wrote:
>> and that anyone can redistribute that software.
>>
>> This applies to your example in that your customer, to whom you've
>> sold
>> your GPLed software (binary + sources), can now freely distribute the
>> exact same binary and sources according to the GPL.  Which means, as
>> Marc pointed out, they can upload it to SourceForge and let anyone
>> download it.
>>

> Got it.
>
> If you think software is a service, you have no problem with the GPL.
> If you insist that software should be a product you have a problem.

I haven't read through GPLv3 yet, but IIRC one of their goals was to
make it such that services based on GPLv3 software must also make the
source available to users of that service -- whether or not the end
user has a copy of the object code.  I'm not sure whether that's
reflected in the draft or not.

-bob