[nycbug-talk] windows anti-virus suggestions

Tim Jacques netmantej
Tue Jan 24 14:24:48 EST 2006

Isaac Levy wrote:
> Hey All,
>
> With some recent fun in an office I'm working at, I'm shopping around
> for a good anti-virus software to use on a fistfull of windows machines.
>
> Does anyone on this list have any good recommendations for products/
> services?
>
> Thanks!
> .ike

Good afternoon everybody ..

I was told years ago that the best anti virus software is the one
with the most current dat files.

I have used Mcafee for years, and they have updated dat files daily.

Here is my formula for a Windows XP workstations.

1. Mcafee Viruscan Enterprise edition.
	It can be updated manually and does not interfere with the other
	products on this list.

2. Ad-Aware SE Pro..
	It has a memory resident portion called Ad-Watch that blocks
	on the fly.  The dat file is updated weekly.

3. Limited user accounts only.
	This is the only defense against Rootkits.
	The only drawback is you will need to login as an administrator
	to update your dat files.

4. Make sure there is a password on the Administrator account.
	Very important ...

5. Windows firewall.
	Nothing allowed.  No exceptions.

6. Firefox and Thunderbird only.
	Securely configured.

7. No sharing.
	P2P music, and IM.

8. Keep an eye on the "Geek Media" for new threats ..

I use Symantec Antivirus Corp. Edition also, but it is only updated weekly.

Have a good day.

tim ..