[nycbug-talk] windows anti-virus suggestions

lists lists
Tue Jan 24 15:22:35 EST 2006

On 24 Jan 2006 14:24:02 -0500, Isaac Levy wrote:
> Thanks all, I'm not planning on any enterprise management- just
> planning to deploy it on a per-machine basis to 5-7 windows clients/
> laptops.

To add more to your trial downloads...

I generally like CA products for anti-virus, and they are running on
this box right now. CA eTrust EZ anti-virus [1] sounds like it would be
a good fit for your purposes (one trial version can be found here [2]).
It is lightweight along with all the standard features and quite
frequent updating. If you are looking for a bit more control and range,
eTrust anti-virus [3] is a better option. Central management is among
the additions. The per seat costs of either option is not bad, but there
is no need to pay for more if you are not going to use it.

[1]
http://store.digitalriver.com/servlet/ControllerServlet?Action=DisplayPage&Locale=en_US&id=ProductDetailsPage&SiteID=caconsum&productID=35180700&Env=BASE
[2] http://www.my-etrust.com/microsoft/
[3]
http://store.ca.com/dr/sat1/ec_Main.Entry17c?V1=31036169&V2=31036169&PID=&PN=29&SP=10024&SID=40705&CUR=840&CID=190529

On a side note, I am not a fan of Symantec and McAfee anti-virus
products. From not working properly to slowing a system down to a crawl,
there never seem to be an end to the maintenance tasks involved with
those products.

-Andrew