[nycbug-talk] *BSD compairson

George Georgalis george
Wed Jan 25 14:03:55 EST 2006

Word!

On Wed, Jan 25, 2006 at 01:41:59PM -0500, Isaac Levy wrote:
>On Jan 25, 2006, at 1:20 PM, George Georgalis wrote:
>
>Hold on right there-
>
>Do we really have such strong opinions?  I haven't really gotten that
>from this group (or the BSD's in general), at all.  (Ok, some people/
>places, but they're exceptions).

Nobody is really evangelizing one BSD or another to me. But
typically when I've discussed with others, I get a response, myBSD
works for me, which should be interpreted, I never tried it with
yourBSD. Which is more what I meant than "strong opinions" and
really not "most of us", just some of my conversations.

>> I don't see anything there comparing *BSD, the wiki is unavailable.
>
>There's not much to explain- compared to Linux distros, *BSD is all
>the same- consistent, ancient, UNIX.
>
>I've never been disappointed carrying expectations for compatible
>userland utilities, it's only in the more esoteric/hardcore details
>where things start to differ.  I've found those details are not
>something sane to explain to 'laymen' as you put it.

yeah, little difference for users, even comparing *Linux to *BSD.
My basis was on installer, /etc, /sbin (admin tools), upgrade and
package system.

>>> FreeBSD, the power to serve
>>> NetBSD, of course it runs NetBSD
>>> OpenBSD, only one remote hole in the default install, in more than 8
>>> years!
>>
>> That's a bit too macro of a perspective for me....
>
>?

Well they all can serve, they are all as portable as needed and
differences in security are irrelevant.

>> in any event this is all no big. It's not too hard to talk about
>> software packaging, major release upgrade process, support
>> and flavor of base OS; which where my primary factors on *BSD
>> selection. Or, install, software, updates and major release
>> process for Linux vs BSD.
>
>Well, to be honest, I don't think there's too much Linux vs. BSD
>stuff out there really, insomuch as it's negative in spirit.
>
>There's plenty of docs to explain what *BSD does though :)

Why did you choose yourBSD?

// George

http://galis.org/ cell:646-331-2027 mailto:george at galis.org