[nycbug-talk] Fibre Channel, RAID, free hardware, oh my!

Isaac Levy ike
Wed Jan 25 21:55:32 EST 2006

Hi Charles,

I think I can only throw in .01 of the .02? you are looking for here,

On Jan 25, 2006, at 8:49 PM, Charles Sprickman wrote:

> Hello all,

<snip>slick hardware<snip>

> I'm considering getting a Qlogic or LSI FC card (with no RAID), but
> I'm
> really lost on what the state of software RAID in FreeBSD 6 is
> these days.

GEOM,

> I don't want RAID5, just 1+0 (striped + mirrored).

GEOM,

> I've used ccd in the
> past for a news server (just striping), and briefly toyed with
> Vinum (and
> ran screaming from it).

GEOM.

Even Greg Lehey (for the record, the author of Vinum), is advocating
the calm abandonment of Vinum.

GEOM based utilities are simply more modern, faster, tighter,
cleaner; and it's got a very bright future.  On top of that, the
userland tools are very elegant- (in comparison to vinum, which is
um, not.)

> The handbook only mentions those two options, but I've heard that
> RAIDFrame was being ported and that there was something in GEOM.
> Is there
> anything out there that's production quality?  Would you trust a few
> thousand mailboxes to it?  Am I being unfair to Vinum?

http://www.freebsd.org/doc/en_US.ISO8859-1/books/handbook/geom.html

Not trying to shout out a RTFM, but it's all there... better than I
can type here.

I think it's perhaps exactly the direction your looking to go.

> Just looking for some input...
>
> Thanks,
>
> Charles

Have fun, however you solve the problem!

Rocket-
.ike