[nycbug-talk] Resume Quality

Steve Rieger riegersteve
Thu Jan 26 17:02:10 EST 2006

reposted from another group.

......to turn it around and list appropriate resume formats in a world
where recruiters actually understood the jobs they were recruiting for:

Web programmer:

	Good: clean, hand-written HTML

	Better: clean validatable XHTML with CSS

	Worse: unreadable HTML written by FrontPage

	Worst: With frames, blinking text, animated, interactive
	       javascript applets, and lots of shockwave.

Sysadmin:

	Good: plain text

	Bad: DOS batch file

	Better: CSV file and a perl script to parse it

	Trying too hard: mysql dump

Programmer:

	Good: plain text

	Bad: plain text with cr-lf line endings.

	Better: a nicely formatted man page

	Trying too hard: URL to the anonymous CVS server so the recruiter
	                 can just download the latest HEAD version of the
	                 resume.

Debian Developer

	Good: Licence your resume under the GPL.

	Bad: Licence your resume under the GFDL.

	Better: Send a sources.list line to your personal .deb repository
	        so the recruiter can install your resume with apt-get.

	Worse: Licence your resume under the GPL, but copy parts from
	       someone else so it's undistributable.

	Worst: link to your personal package repository--in RPM.

Kernel Hacker

	Good: clean C

	Bad: clean Pascal

	Better: clean C that will build in the kernel environment.

	Trying too hard: source for a kernel module that writes the
	                 resume to kern.log.

	Worse: C++ with heavy use of templates and exceptions.

	Worst: loadable module that writes the resume to kern.log--as a
	       binary blob with no source.

BSD Hacker:

	Good: clean C

	Bad: clean C--that uses glibc extensions.

	Better: architecture-independent, portable C.

	Worse: MSVC++ project file.

	Worst: MSVC++ project file -- licenced under the GPL.

--
Steve Rieger
riegersteve at gmail.com
310-339-4355
yahoo  = riegersteve
icq        = 53956607
Ride Free, Ride On, Ride Safe

I had the blues because I had no shoes until upon the street, I met a
man who had no feet.

Biker Blue