[nycbug-talk] Fibre Channel, RAID, free hardware, oh my!

Charles Sprickman spork
Tue Jan 31 17:30:53 EST 2006

On Wed, 25 Jan 2006, pete wright wrote:

> On 1/25/06, Charles Sprickman <spork at bway.net> wrote:

>> -3 NetApp filer shelves w/1.5TB
>
> what model shelves are these?  can you console into them?

I'm not totally sure.  It took me a little time to figure out just what I
had.  They all are made by "Eurologics" which was bought by Adaptec.
However the RAID controller (when it still worked) identified them as
NetApp boxes.  My scrawlings indicate the following:

RAID/FC boxes

-2 big blocks on back - xlacm-ae rev.a
-shelf id select - id select, port a/b expansion
-xledm-ac comm1, comm2 fanfail, temp, mute/IC
-XLPBC-AB input/output/terminator
-main box: XL401R-FJF-02D  made in ireland, rev. a

eurologics systems, ltd. - bought by Adaptec 3/2003

I've been all over NetApp's site, but it seems like you can't get much
info without a paid support contract.  Do you know anything about getting
into these things via the serial port?

> <snip>

> I'd go for the LSI.  if you can console into the netapp chances are
> that there is some sort of management interface that will allow you to
> configure how the disks are grouped together.

I'm fairly sure there's no RAID on the enclosures themselves...  Or maybe
you're talking FC stuff, and I really have no clue about it. :)

> Big fan of GEOM on Free for sure.  With this many disks i'd
> investigate graid3 (3).

Hmmmm.

> sounds pretty fun, I wish i was falling into some netapp shelves  :^)

Maybe it happens once in everyone sysadmin's life eventually? :)

Charles