[nycbug-talk] umask in Makefile

George Georgalis george
Tue Jan 31 19:27:37 EST 2006

On Tue, Jan 31, 2006 at 03:10:37PM -0501, Ray Lai wrote:
>On Tue, Jan 31, 2006 at 02:43:37PM -0500, George Georgalis wrote:
>> Is there any way to set the umask within a makefile for all the
>> files it creates? with a default umask of 002 in my shell, I'd
>> like to have make use 022 without starting each line that creates
>> a file with "umask 022 ;"
>>
>> I don't particulary want to write a wrapper to call make, but that
>> seems the only way. Ideas?
>
>http://groups.google.com/group/gnu.utils.bug/browse_thread/thread/277afe41cc5c0d67/22cc0a52143931ea?lnk=st&q=makefile+umask&rnum=1&hl=en
>
>Not much better, but it's an alternative.

like the OP on that thread... if it works it's infinitely better!
I was imagining using $SHELL but I only spent :15 looking for doc
on it and didn't experiment ;)

I really wasn't sure what to use either, didn;t think of ";" or "exec"

 SHELL = umask $(UMASK); exec /bin/sh

I'm gona try that or maybe

 SHELL = umask $(UMASK) && exec /bin/sh

That is a really great thread, did you just find it (how) or had
you saved it?

// George

http://galis.org/ cell:646-331-2027 mailto:george at galis.org