[nycbug-talk] FreeBSD 'n CIFS

N.J. Thomas njt at ayvali.org
Tue Jul 11 12:01:07 EDT 2006

* Pete Wright <pete at nomadlogic.org> [2006-07-11 11:45:12 -0400]:
> has anyone done any work using FreeBSD to mount and write to CIFS
> volumes (we can assume CIFS volumes are hosted on Win2003 server)? I
> am assuming I will have to do this in userland via samba.

Yup, we do this. FreeBSD 5.4 box running on a Dell PowerEdge SC 1425
machine. It runs samba-3.0.20b, which was built from ports.

It took us a while to tweak the options in Samba's config to get it to
where we wanted it exactly (or more specifically, to mimic the old
buggy, virus/spyware infested Windows 2000 server that the FreeBSD box
replaced), but once that was done, we've had zero problems with this
machine. It currently has an uptime of 137 days and is pounded quite
heavily by 30+ users during business hours.

The only thing I should note is that our volumes are running off a NetApp
filer, and not a Windows 2003 server, as would be the case with your
setup. We actually mount the NetApp volumes via NFS, and then re-export
using CIFS/Samba -- we don't have a CIFS license for the NetApp box.

Thomas

--
N.J. Thomas
njt at ayvali.org