[nycbug-talk] Noob networking question

Marco Scoffier marco at metm.org
Fri Jul 21 07:40:04 EDT 2006

On Thu, Jul 20, 2006 at 05:03:29PM -0700, Peter Wright wrote:
<snip>
Thanks for the network performance analysis tools Pete.

>> Question 2) I have a few machines off a switch (linksys 100 baseT) which
>> is connected through the uplink port and a crossover to the main
>> router/firewall/gateway netgear.  Machines connected to this switch
>> (which is new) seem much much slower than the rest.  Is there anything
>> I can do about this ?
>>

>have you checked link state (AutoNeg is bad) and that you are full duplex.
> i dunno, i usually find the basic stuff is a good starting point (check
>physical links first etc..).

Super noob question #3. (let me know if this is getting off topic)

How do I turn off auto negotiation?  The main router and switch in
question  are both new-ish (like a year old) off the shelf consumer
networking equipment, (netgear and linksys).  All the client machines
are Macs running OS 10.4.  Server is FreeBSD with single networking card
which is aliased to two IPs, one for the base system which is only
accessible from the inside, a jail hosts some some services available to
the outside world through port forwarding on the netgear router.

All the link state lights seem pinned to a bright green 100x.
Does that mean that auto negociation is not a problem?  Or is there
something else I should be checking?

Thanks,

--
Marco