[nycbug-talk] Noob networking question

Isaac Levy ike at lesmuug.org
Mon Jul 24 12:34:34 EDT 2006

Hey Marco, All,

On Jul 22, 2006, at 2:18 PM, Bjorn Nelson wrote:
<snip>
> Just wanted to add a caveat to this.  If you use afp, it's going to
> store resource forks on the server.  Unless you use server side
> utilities that respect this, these won't be kept for server side
> backups or when accessed using other protocols (ever want to smb
> share?).  With nfs, the resource fork will be kept in separate dot
> file that can be backed up and recovered safely.
<snip>

Sorry to drop in late to this thread, but I just wanted to shout out
that I've had great success deploying Samba/SMB in several offices
which are mixed, but mac-heavy enviornments.  Performance has rocked,
and various pains in one's tail have not been an issue, (long
filenames, volume size issues with > 2TB volumes, speed, etc...).
It's also GREATLY simplified administering a diverse network by
running just one file protocol, since there's only one access-control
system to manage, etc...  Leaves time to manage the myriad of
machines, which on one network, span from Win95 up through current
Win. flavors, to Macs of various OSX builds, to various *NIX
machines...  (The only sane parts of that network are all the *BSD
systems that run core services, routers, etc...).

The OSX machines all handle SMB really excellently, Apple worked hard
to get their rigs working really seamlessly in windows networks.

Just my .02¢, I know SMB is not a 'standard' solution for everything;
but working to strip the network down to just SMB has yielded
delightful results.

Rocket-
.ike