[nycbug-talk] Postfix filter for Exchange

Pete Wright pete at nomadlogic.org
Thu Jul 27 11:31:12 EDT 2006

Hi All,
	So for some reason we run exchange as our mail store, and
frankly I'd rather not start another fight as to how we should probably move
to more robust mail solution.  we do have an issue where runaway scripts
start generating *ton's* of email in a very short period of time.  We
have been trying our best to resolve this issue by bludgening those who
write the offending code, but it still happens from time to time.

	So, to help us out with this I am going to propose putting a
Postfix filter infront of the exchange server to kill these mail bombs
before they take down exchange.  The exchange admin's promise there is
nothing they can do to properlly rate limit, or kill these mail bombs
before spooling them.  I am not so sure about that, but do not have the
time to learn exchange.

	Has anyone implemented such a solution for a highvolume
mailserver, if so any caveat's i should be looking out for?  Or is there
a sendmail milter that does this already that i don't know about?

thanks!
-pete

--
~~oO00Oo~~