[nycbug-talk] solaris 10 zfs nfs lockd problems

Jan Schaumann jschauma at netmeister.org
Thu Jul 27 12:51:41 EDT 2006

Jan Schaumann <jschauma at netmeister.org> wrote:

> I just converted our fileserver to solaris, using ZFS.  So now it's
> exporting everything via NFS, and all clients can mount it just fine,
> however, performance is very bad if the application uses file locking.
> For example, reading my inbox with mutt (which has a meager 60 messages
> in it) takes 22 seconds!

For anybody who's interested, the problem does appear to be an odd
combination of running ZFS over an Apple XRaid.  My details are here:

http://www.netmeister.org/blog/index.php?entry=entry060725-230500

and

http://www.netmeister.org/blog/index.php?entry=entry060726-190745

No, it doesn't really have to do with BSD.  ;-)

-Jan

--
If you are undertaking anything substantial, C is the only reasonable choice
of programming language.