[nycbug-talk] U.S surrenders ICANN control

Marc Spitzer mspitzer at gmail.com
Thu Jul 27 18:26:48 EDT 2006

On 7/27/06, Isaac Levy <ike at lesmuug.org> wrote:
> Hey All,
>
> There's reports in the news that the U.S. Govt. is surrendering ICANN
> to a 'non-profit' international body.
>
> http://www.theregister.co.uk/2006/07/27/ntia_icann_meeting/
>
> That article got slashdotted too.
>
> --
> Does anyone have any opinions/thoughts on the ramifications of this
> action?  My brain is churning on it from a lot of angles...

I think it is an action that will result in bad things happening, at
least we still have the root DNS servers and that should definitly be
a from my cold dead hand issue.  Keep in mind that in much of the
world free speach is a crime.  Think PRC and teniman square.  or the
fact that nazi stuff is illegal in france and france filed criminal
charges against the asshole selling it from yahoo or ebay.  now give
those same people more power to delist yahoo or ebay for doing
something that is perfictly legal here.  The US designed it,
researched it, built it, watched over it and was kind enought to let
everyone else use it.  If the rest of the world does not like it why
cangt they just build their own.

it might just fracture the internet and I am not sure this is a bad
thing in the long run,

marc
--
"We trained very hard, but it seemed that every time we were beginning to
form into teams we would be reorganized. I was to learn later in life that