[nycbug-talk] Conference Topics Thread

Peter Wright pete at nomadlogic.org
Mon Jun 19 17:58:51 EDT 2006

> Pete Wright writes:
>
>> i'd also like to see something along the lines of programming in $LANG
>> for sysadmins.  was in an execellent Perl Guru session at Usenix this
>> year and would like to see more in this area.
>
> Agree. In particular would be great if the presenter could cover a few
> languages and tools which can be used.
>
> For example I think the following intros would be great for admins.
> -Perl
> -Python
> -awk/sed/cut/sort/uniq
> -Shell scripting
>
> Perhaps something along the lines of a cheat-sheet for admins in those
> languages/utilities.

I like that idea, although I personally would like to see specific
situations where perl, for example, was used as a tool to solve a problem
(including anaylsis, which modules where used etc.).

I think for the long term it's the process an admin goes through more than
the specifics of the lang itself.  Heck as long as it's not a talk about
ruby on rail's i'll be happy (grumble...software dept hopping on the favor
of the week...grumble...) ;-)

-pete

--
~~oO00Oo~~