[nycbug-talk] Conference Topics Thread

Pete Wright pete at nomadlogic.org
Tue Jun 20 11:33:09 EDT 2006

On Tue, Jun 20, 2006 at 08:04:00AM -0500, Jeff Knight wrote:
> Ya know, I've never been into the whole theme/track idea. At any
> conference I go to, I just cherry pick from the list of sessions that
> sound interesting to me irrespective of what track they are in. Do
> people really pay any attention? Do the beancounters that pay for the
> conferences think "well... I don't see a track with our company's
> buzzword du jour, so I'm not releasing the funding for that puppy"?
> And, since most conferences usually end up having to pad their tracks
> with a number of sessions that don't really fit anywhere, do tracks
> really do anything at all?

hey jeff, just a quick note.  it's considered bad form to top post to this
(and most technical) lists.

i think it's generally considered a good thing to have some form of
coherency between talks.  sure we all tend to cherry pick between talks
- especially at good conferences.  infact i'd say that's a sign of a
  good conf.  i dont' see how having a theme could be considered a bad
thing either...

-p