[nycbug-talk] iSCSI target mode on FreeBSD

George R. george at sddi.net
Thu Jun 29 02:12:58 EDT 2006

Peter Wright wrote:
>> I came across a nice guide on how to setup iSCSI target mode in
>> Fedora, and I was impressed by how easy it appears to be. See:
>> http://fedoranews.org/mediawiki/index.php/Going_Enterprise_-_setup_your_FC4_iSCSI_target_in_5_minutes
>>
>> Anyone have any experience working with iSCSI in FreeBSD? I some bits
>> and pieces around, but nothing that apeears substantial.
>>
>> Or should I be pursuing ATA over Ethernet, which seems to have a lot
>> more support, mostly due to Coraid.
>> http://www.coraid.com/support/freebsd/usingaoe.html
>>

> you may be better off going with NetBSD at this point:
>
> http://mail-index.netbsd.org/current-users/2006/02/21/0018.html
>
> last I heard iSCI was planned on being imported from Net into the Free three:
>
> http://lists.freebsd.org/pipermail/freebsd-current/2006-June/063682.html
>
> by all accounts I've heard iSCSI support on Net is very good, ask the
> wasabi guys ;-)
>
> http://www.storagebuilder.com/products/iscsi.html

Played with iSCSI on NetBSD, as we have some possible functions for it,
and found it simple and straight-forward, although at that point still
in /devel/ in pkgsrc.  No issues with the various versions of the
Microsoft clients.

I hear lots of things about iSCSI in FreeBSD, but one thing I am sure of
is from one of the FreeSBIE/GUFI guys who recently came through NYC,
Attilio.

I gave him a few old SCSI drives as he was going to spend some time
resolving some SCSI issues before tackling iSCSI.

I've cc'd him, so hopefully he can fill us in on the utility of the
NetBSD package in the process of creating a FreeBSD one.  I'd assume
that GEOM-land puts things in such a different context if the solution
is in that direction, and that it would be something beyond a port.

George