[nycbug-talk] [macosx-unix] Apple Intel Servers?

Okan Demirmen okan
Thu Mar 2 20:00:12 EST 2006

On Thu 2006.03.02 at 10:13 -0800, Pete Wright wrote:
> On Thu, Mar 02, 2006 at 01:04:56PM -0500, Isaac Levy wrote:
> > Hey Okan, All,
> >
> > An officially relevant cross-post, (are they outlawed alltogether?)
> >
> > Last night at NYCBUG Okan was asking me about Intel Apple stuff, and
> > weather or not it uses Open Firmware.
> >
> > --
> > I checked today to try to answer your question about Open Firmware on
> > upcoming Intel Apple Servers, and there is no such thing as an Intel
> > Apple Server (yet?).
> >
> > With that,
> >
> > http://appleintelfaq.com/#17
> >
> > "Shipping Intel-based Macintosh computers use Intel's new Extensible
> > Firmware Interface (EFI)[17.1]."
> >
> > Suck.  Or mabye not- it's just new.
> > I'll miss Open Firmware, it's easy and well documented, it's Cisco-
> > admin-friendly (it came from Sun back in the day), it's all FORTH
> > syntax based.
> >

> i vaugly remember reading about how the mac/intel firmware may be coming
> from the itanium family.  i've never used itanium, or an intel based mac
> for that matter, but that was the impression i got from a freebsd dev a
> while back....

we'll have to wait and see i guess, for the server end of it. i'm going
to try an track down my neighbor who just got an intel-based powerbook -
see if i can convince him to let me in for a few minutes ;)

cheers,
okan