[nycbug-talk] Apple Intel Servers?

pete wright nomadlogic
Fri Mar 3 11:22:02 EST 2006

On 3/3/06, Mikel King <mikel.king at ocsny.com> wrote:

> On Mar 3, 2006, at 9:48 AM, Brad Schonhorst wrote:
>
> > On Thu, 02 Mar 2006 17:19 -0500, Mikel King <mikel.king at ocsny.com>
> > wrote:
> >> I have a client that has a few intel Macs, so far so good. But on the
> >> flipside I have experienced some rather unusual out of the box
> >> failures
> >> during the last 6 months. Seemed like Apple was rushing equipment
> >> out the
> >> door relying on post support to pickup the slack.
> >
> > It seems their hardware issues are not limited only to gen 1 products.
> >  I just had to have logic boards replaced on 5 eMacs, all purchased in
> > August 2004.  I was lucky  enough to convince the engineers they
> > shipped faulty hardware and get the repairs covered w/out warranty
> > though, so cheers to apple for clean up their mess.
> >
> > I suppose its not just apple, I recently had a dell server hard drive
> > go bad after a month of use.
> >
> > So my question is, if I am planning to purchase an xserve or two in
> > the near future, do I get a g5 model or wait for the intels, which
> > will probably mean waiting for the 2nd version of the intels...
>
> Brad you raise a concern we've had in my office over the last year
> regarding DELL and HP. Seems that the major manufacturers are rushing
> product out the door skipping the Q/A process. Or at the very least
> running the equipment through a shorter Q/A procedure. Maybe they've
> all subcontracted the same Q/A firm to do this work for them. It just
> seems to me that equipment failures are more common during the first
> 3-6 months than they were several years ago.
>
> Has anyone else experienced this trend?

oh god, don't get me started on HP :)  We have had serious QC problems
with thier xw8200 workstations.  These things are not cheap either
(and we purchase them by the palate).  First we had ~150 with a bad
cap. on the system board, then the BIOS has an ACPI/USB bug that still
has not been addressed by HP, and the SCSI controllers seem to fry
pretty quickly if you do find one that is stable.  So yea, I think
between all the layoff's and the merger with compaq, Carly really did
a number on HP's quality controll.  Can't really speak for Dell, as I
have never really been a fan of industrial design.

-p