[nycbug-talk] Multiple CARP addresses on Free

David Lawson dave
Sat Mar 4 02:01:40 EST 2006

Hey,
I'm trying to set up a pair of FreeBSD boxes as a NATing gateway/
firewall with CARP and pf, and I'm running into a few problems with
the rc.conf incantation to get things working correctly, I'm hoping
someone here might be able to point me in the right direction.  I'm
trying to set up two CARP addresses, one for the external interfaces
and one for the internal ones.  The external one (carp0) works fine
on boot, but the internal one (carp1) does not.  The interface is
created, but it's not assigned to a vhid nor does it acquire the IP
address I've assigned it in rc.conf.  The FreeBSD way seems to
diverge significantly from the OpenBSD way on this matter and the
documentation (what I've found at least) isn't as comprehensive as
I'd like, so I'm hoping someone can shed some light on the matter.
I'm excerpting the relevant portions of my rc.conf below with the IP
addresses elided.

cloned_interfaces="carp0 carp1"
ifconfig_carp0="vhid 1 pass foo 1.2.3.4/24"
ifconfig carp1="vhid 2 pass bar 192.168.23.221/24"

On boot, carp0 comes up fine, but carp1 comes up like this:
carp1: flags=0<> mtu 1500

Interestingly enough, if I run /etc/rc.d/netif restart, it does throw
an error:
ifconfig: interface carp1=vhid 2 pas does not exist

I've no idea what to make of that, personally.  I can bring the
interface up manually with:
ifconfig carp1 vhid 2 pass bar 192.168.23.221/24

Any suggestions?  I appreciate any comments anyone might have.

--Dave