[nycbug-talk] soho firewall

Kurt Miller lists at intricatesoftware.com
Fri Mar 17 09:42:58 EST 2006

On Wednesday 08 March 2006 8:17 pm, michael wrote:
> I'm looking for a new firewall/network device.  While I like soekris, I
> want to look at other choices before I buy another one. Besides, I have
> read that for ipsec they may not have enough umph.

Regarding Soekris 4801's: I've been happily using one for my
home network for a year or two. Recently I upgraded my cable
modem with Optimum Online's Boost option. Boost gives 30 Mbps
down and 2 Mbps up. The 4801 couldn't route more then 18 Mbps
down (21 with the interrupt hold off patch set to 1000us).
Those sis NIC's are horrible.

I'm now using a PII 266 Mhz with a dual port fxp with both
ports using the same interrupt. It can route the full 30 Mbps
at about 50% cpu (all interrupt servicing).

If your going to buy a low power system, make sure it has
good NIC's.

-Kurt