[nycbug-talk] Mailing List Etiquette

pete wright nomadlogic at gmail.com
Mon Mar 20 12:07:05 EST 2006

Hey All,
Just a quick note to remind everyone of our mailing list etiquette.
Nycbug has tried to stay as close to the established *BSD mailing list
guidelines as possible.  Because so much of our discussions happen via
email, I think it is important that we are all playing by the sames
rules.  For those of you who have been around for a long time, sorry
for the repeat email ;-)

Here is a quick summary of what we feel proper mailing list etiquette
is (cribbed from FreeBSD):
http://tinyurl.com/ghlyy

"
What are the special etiquette consideration when replying to an
existing posting on the mailing lists?

- Please include relevant text from the original message. Trim it to
the minimum, but do not overdo it. It should still be possible for
somebody who did not read the original message to understand what you
are talking about.
This is especially important for postings of the type "yes, I see this
too", where the initial posting was dozens or hundreds of lines.

- Use some technique to identify which text came from the original
message, and which text you add. A common convention is to prepend ">
" to the original message. Leaving white space after the "> " and
leaving empty lines between your text and the original text both make
the result more readable.

- Please ensure that the attributions of the text you are quoting is
correct. People can become offended if you attribute words to them
that they themselves did not write

- Please do not top post. By this, we mean that if you are replying to
a message, please put your replies after the text that you copy in
your reply.
"

I would suggest checking out the whole FAQ on the FreeBSD site
regarding etiquette if you have not already, it's worth reading.  I am
hoping that by following these guidelines we will make our list and
archives a useful and easy to use resource for the entire community.

Thanks,
    Pete

--
~~o0OO0o~~