[nycbug-talk] Memory sizing

Isaac Levy ike at lesmuug.org
Thu May 4 23:28:57 EDT 2006

Hi Francisco,

Sorry to drop this thread-

On Apr 22, 2006, at 4:34 PM, Francisco Reyes wrote:

> Isaac Levy writes:
>
>> 3.6TB (currently about 2.5TB used)
>
> What you have that on?
> SAN/#U server?
> I think you mentioned but... is that IDE or SCSI?

SATA- 3u servers, 16 drive bays:

This is the case I LOVE:
http://www.chenbro.com.tw/usa/product/product_preview.php?pid=132

Lee at GCS built a couple of Xeon servers for me with these at an
excellent price.  My client did however find the harddrives in bulk
substantially cheaper from online vendors, (at that scale, buying >
32 drives at a time, it's nearly bulk, even $10 per drive adds up).

>> Number of files, unknown.  I'll count them some weekend for kicks
>> when I think of it.
>
> That would be interesting.. It is not that bad.. you can run it
> almost at any time. I find that find is not too demanding on
> resources.
>
> I count files so often on directories that I have an alias fwc ==>
> find . |wc -l

Running this now in a dtach session- will see when it's done...

Rocket-
.ike