[nycbug-talk] what are your usefull hacks, the real simple ones

Marc Spitzer mspitzer at gmail.com
Mon May 8 14:43:23 EDT 2006

On 5/8/06, Peter Wright <pete at nomadlogic.org> wrote:

> ok, this one is dumb - and more of a pet peeve thing.  but i've grown fond
> of defining your path's ala:
>
> # from ~/.cshrc
> set path = ( ~/bin /bin /sbin\
> /usr/{bin,sbin,X11R6/bin,local/bin,local/sbin,games} .)
>
> not sure why, but on most linux type os's i've used they do not seem to
> define path's in this way by default...

It may have to do with which, or which version of, csh you are using.  Tcsh has
a lot of changes over csh and this may have something to do with it.
Also it may
have to do with the simple fact that the other way is simpler, no
shell expansion
to figure out.

marc

--
"We trained very hard, but it seemed that every time we were beginning to
form into teams we would be reorganized. I was to learn later in life that