[nycbug-talk] Reading Solaris packages in FreeBSD

David Rio Deiros driodeiros at gmail.com
Thu May 11 01:29:03 EDT 2006

On Tue, May 09, 2006 at 01:42:57PM -0400, Anthony Elizondo wrote:
> I basically want to be able to peek into Solaris packages (SVR4
> datastream files) on my FreeBSD machine. Is there a way to do that?

Just open the pkg file with your favorite editor and take a look to
the headers. There you will find all the information
about the package, including the files it's going to install and
the dependancies.

Also, there is a tool called alien that supports pkg so you could
convert the package to a tarball.

Read this also:

http://www.bolthole.com/solaris/makeapackage.html

David