[nycbug-talk] Confusion around Grub, NetBSD 3.0, DAC960 control (all for Xen)

Johnny Lam jlam at pkgsrc.org
Fri May 19 13:27:25 EDT 2006

Tillman Hodgson wrote:

> Is it normal for there not to be a menu.lst in /grub? I know I need to
> modify it to show what I want for options, but it seems odd that a
> default one was included as part of the files it populated the directory
> with.

I think there is no default because there are no easy defaults that can
be set.

> Before I get into the Xen stuff, if I create a /grub/menu.lst with
> contents like this:
>
>  title NetBSD-GENERIC
>  root (hd0,0,a)
>  chainloader +1
>
> I should be able to boot NetBSD normally as a test, correct?

Yes, that seems to match the example in the Xen HOWTO on the NetBSD
site, although I think just "root (hd0,0)" is enough.  I'm not quite
sure how the naming scheming is supposed to work, though.  I think to
use the above, you'll also need /netbsd to be a normal kernel.  For some
more examples, my own working menu.list looks like:

	default=0
	timeout=10
	fallback=1
	#
	title Xen / NetBSD-3.0
	  root   (hd0,a)
	  kernel (hd0,a)/xen dom0_mem=131072
	  module (hd0,a)/netbsd-XEN0 root=(hd0,a) ro console=pc
	#
	title NetBSD-3.0
	  root   (hd0,a)
	  kernel --type=netbsd (hd0,a)/netbsd-GENERIC

	Cheers,

	-- Johnny Lam <jlam at pkgsrc.org>