[nycbug-talk] greylisting proxies?

michael lists at genoverly.net
Thu Nov 2 08:36:39 EST 2006

On Thu, 2 Nov 2006 01:44:27 -0500
"George Georgalis" <george at galis.org> wrote:

> I inquired if anybody else was getting deferral from verizon
> perpetually and what they do about it---I get 450 for 7 days,
> then my mta gives up and returns the message.

Not sure if it helps, but in my (limited) experience...

When sending mail TO verizon, I have found they (like many-many others)
are strict about reverse dns for mx records. If they can not completely
identify the server trying to talk to them, they will not proceed.
After repeated attempts, they assume the assailant is a spammer and
will put them on an internal blacklist.

	$ dig MX +short galis.org
	10 run.galis.org.

	$ dig +short run.galis.org
	70.183.8.250

	$ dig -x 70.183.8.250
	[snip]
		;; ANSWER SECTION:
		250.8.183.70.in-addr.arpa. 86269 IN     PTR
		wsip-70-183-8-250.ri.ri.cox.net.
	[snip]

Verizon may be under the impression that you are *not* who you say
you are... but that is just my un-educated guess.. and probably so
basic and obvious that it is not the answer to your problem.

--

michael