[nycbug-talk] greylisting proxies?

George Georgalis george at galis.org
Thu Nov 2 09:05:49 EST 2006

On Thu, Nov 02, 2006 at 01:44:27AM -0500, George Georgalis wrote:
>On Wed, Nov 01, 2006 at 08:06:03PM -0500, Okan Demirmen wrote:

>>> who cares?
>>>
>>> why do you say I'm using a broken mta?
>>
>>can you go back and read this thread please?  then read about smtp
>>codes, then review 4xx codes again.  if your mta can't deal, then it is
>>broken, or the configuration is severely broken.
>
>my mta works thank you very much.
>
>I inquired if anybody else was getting deferral from verizon
>perpetually and what they do about it---I get 450 for 7 days,
>then my mta gives up and returns the message.
>
>there are so many google hits on this verizon problem it's hard to
>get the good info, this list is by verizon.
>
>1.) Please ensure that your server is accepting mail from
>206.46.252.0/24.
>
>2.) Please ensure that your server accepts a Null Mail From: command
>e.g. Mail From:<>.
>
>3.) Please ensure your mail server responds to the SMTP commands within
>30 seconds.
>
>4.) Please ensure the from address used is a valid email address that is
>accepted by the MX server for that domain.
>
>5.) Please ensure you have a proper MX record.
>
>if you must conform to all these, to send mail, that's not rfc
>2821, nor is a 450 message for over 5 days.

verizon is verifying it can deliver a <> notification message to
the return path, during smtp and sends 450 if it cannot. since
they never send a DATA, they never make a tuple to get through
spamd. eventually they get tar-pitted and the session takes over
30 seconds before they can send RCPT.

in the end, you must spamd whitelist the verizon ip that tests
the return-path mx of messages you send them. or just give them a
non-spamd return-path with your messages.

// George