[nycbug-talk] FreeBSD 6 spontaneous reboots

Rodrique Heron rodrique_heron at baruch.cuny.edu
Thu Nov 16 14:29:55 EST 2006

Anyone experiencing spontaneous reboots with FreeBSD 6.0-RELEASE-p1 ?

I have carp fail-over with two identical servers (Dell PowerEdge
1650), that has been running FreeBSD 6 for more than six months, they
are my public DNS servers. Recently the slave started rebooting
roughly every 3hr. BSDSAR revealed that server is at idle around the
time of reboot. Nothing interesting in the logs except for debug.log
(kernel: arp_rtrequest: bad gateway 1192.168.2.1 (!AF_LINK). After
some googling (see link to thread below. I updated to 6.1-RELEASE-
p10, removed my carp setup from both servers, to see if the server
stops rebooting, that did not work.

Spontaneous FreeBSD reboots, is a first for me. At what point do I
determine that I am having a hardware issue. What else Can I look at ?

I am running GENERIC kernel with CARP complied.

http://groups-beta.google.com/group/mailing.freebsd.net/browse_thread/
thread/1f2dc2ca79375e85/#

-Rodrique