[nycbug-talk] Upgrading to Xorg-7.1

Scott Robbins scottro at nyc.rr.com
Tue Nov 28 12:21:40 EST 2006

If anyone is interested, I tried doing the upgrade, following the
instructions at

http://wikitest.freebsd.org/ModularXorg

It went quite smoothly.  There was one case of a circular dependency--I
believe it was after I installed xorg-7.1.  (I was just doing this for
fun on a sacrificial machine, and didn't document what I was doing.)

I saw, doing a ls of /var/db/pkg that it had been registered, so I
ctl-C'd out of it and ran pkgdb -F.  This fixed it.

(If there's enough interest in this post, I'll probably run it again and
this time, actually make note of what I'm doing).

Following the instructions, I installed the entire xorg-drivers
collection (later on the X11 mailing list, flz@ mentioned that he gave
that path for safety, and agreed that it's probably unnecessary).  If I
do have a chance for a second test run, I'll just install mouse,
keyboard, vesa and the mga driver for that machine.

[...]

The only other trouble I had was that portupgrading xorg-server didn't
remove xorg-server-6.9.  I'm not sure why and suspect it's something
silly that I missed.

At any rate, it went so smoothly that I'm probably going to try it on my
main home machine (after doing a dump of everything to another drive
first, just in case.)   I was impressed by the ease of upgrade.

--

Scott

GPG KeyID EB3467D6
( 1B848 077D 66F6 9DB0 FDC2  A409 FA54 D575 EB34 67D6)

Anya: Men like sports. I'm sure of it.
Xander: Yes. Men like sports. Men watch the action movie, they
eat of the beef, and they enjoy to look at the bosoms. A thousand
years of avenging our wrongs, and that's all you've learned?