[nycbug-talk] zenoss monitoring soft

David Lawson dave at donnerjack.com
Mon Oct 2 17:04:03 EDT 2006

We've tested ZenOSS for a while, hoping to be able to replace Nagios
with something that's prettier, a bit more featureful, and written in
Python (I think ZenOSS is a Zope app, but I don't remember offhand),
but, unfortunately, the conclusion we came to was that it's far too
immature to consider in any kind of real production role.  Last time
I looked, a few months ago, the installation process involved a CVS
checkout and took me most of an afternoon to beat all the pieces into
building, and most of the traffic on the list is installation/setup
problems, probably because very few people are using it heavily
enough to be uncovering other issues.  I think it's a really cool
project, but I've got it on my "Check back in a year" list at the
moment.

--Dave