[nycbug-talk] Student Discounts

Marc Spitzer mspitzer at gmail.com
Mon Oct 9 15:48:10 EDT 2006

On 10/9/06, Jonathan Vanasco <nycbug-list at 2xlp.com> wrote:

> On Oct 9, 2006, at 2:39 PM, Tim Allender wrote:
> > I suggest we reverse ourselves on this and give all New York City
> > students $50 admission at the door.

I have nothing to do with the con management, but columbia is donating
the space as far as I know.  I do not think cuny is putting anything
in the pot, not a dig on cuny just a statement of facts asI understand
them.

Also please keep in mind that the con needs to pay for it self.  Yes
it needs to make money or it never happens again.

What might work out as fair is that full time non columbia students
get the $100 price at the door if they have a current studnet ID and
proof of full time status.

Please keep in mind that the cost of the con is already deeply
discounted accross the board, $100 for 2 days of talks and, if I
remember correctly, food.

> +1 that
> +2 all students in general
>
> even the overpriced tech and design conferences have drastically
> reduced prices for students

yes they are and students pay more then $50/day for them still.

> when you're worried about living on loans, accumulating debt, and
> working $6hr jobs on campus , the full price is just too much
> even $50 for a student is high- its an acceptable high- but its still
> a pricepoint where someone would REALLY want to go in order to check
> it out.  maybe a $25 day rate would be better for students?

having been a broke student, don't buy it.  and why in the name of
snoopy would any computer savy person work for 6/hr, Mcdonnalds pays
better.  Basic office help pays around $10+/hr from what I read in the
paper.

> i wouldn't be eligible for it either-- i just remember living on
> those budgets vividly.

I also remember those days, well some of them.

marc

ps I work for columbia

--
"We trained very hard, but it seemed that every time we were beginning to
form into teams we would be reorganized. I was to learn later in life that