[nycbug-talk] VPN/Integrated Router Appliances

Hans Zaunere lists at zaunere.com
Sun Oct 15 20:11:58 EDT 2006

Hi,

We're looking to deploy a [small] office integrated router to provide the
following primary functionality:

-- remote/field user VPN access without having to install VPN clients on
their laptops/desktops; most remote users are Windows XP based

-- wireless connectivity for the office space; wireless access can be open,
but only authorized users should have the benefit of being in the "internal"
network - the rest just have generic internet access

-- wireless connectivity, however, could be provided by a separate device
(which is already in place) so it's not critical to be an all in one product

-- IP NAT for VPN or generic wireless users

-- internal authoritative DNS server to provide internal server naming for
development servers, etc; company internet facing authoritative DNS is
handled elsewhere

-- authorized VPN users have access to development servers on local and
remote networks

-- authorized VPN users have access to SMB/Windows network routing to a
remote/local Samba/Windows file

Now I realize I could build up a server with the firewall rules,
functionality, etc., but I'm really looking towards an out-of-box solution.
Some type of pre-configured appliance with HTTPS administration.  I've
looked at several different options, including:

-- wireless integrated routers from vendors such as Linksys, D-Link, etc.,
such as the Linksys WRVS4400N or RV016, or the D-Link DFL-CPG31

-- alternative firmwares for above routers

-- combining a BSD installment with a hardware appliance, such as Soekris
with m0n0wall

Commercial or free solutions are ok, although from what I've seen above,
they all seem to fall short in some way, especially in providing a full DNS
server for the VPN users.  Any feedback/thoughts/experiences are
appreciated.