[nycbug-talk] Nvidia Blob Exploit

Peter Wright pete at nomadlogic.org
Mon Oct 16 22:50:23 EDT 2006

http://download2.rapid7.com/r7-0025/

not to say i'm surprised or anything...but this topic is actually pretty
interesting to me as i am directly dependent upon nvidia for hardware and
driver support for my job.  so, my business hat is benefiting from the
blob's built by nvidia.  infact i would not be too surprised to see NDA
tainted bit's in the blob.  and Nvidia does provide commercial engineering
support for their cards as well, and infact many vfx companies take
advantage of this.  so in these cases you may say both parties are
benefiting from this relationship.

now, i belive one of OpenBSD's main issues with binary blobs is that it
tends to prevent coders of drivers from getting complete hardware doc?
does anyone know if this is the case with the nvidia built drivers?

i do feel that people developing open source drivers *should* be given
adequate documentation for hardware.  it just makes sense, i'm not going
to attempt to rehash Theo's arguments on this...

-p

--
~~oO00Oo~~
Peter Wright