[nycbug-talk] Charles M. Hannum on NetBSD

George R. george at sddi.net
Fri Sep 1 15:14:52 EDT 2006

Steven Kreuzer wrote:
> michael wrote:
>> wow.. this has hit several lists, but if you missed it somehow..
>>
>> 	"The NetBSD Project has stagnated to the point of irrelevance.
>> 	It has gotten to the point that being associated with the
>> 	project is often more of a liability than an asset.  I will
>> 	attempt to explain how this happened, what the current state of
>> 	affairs is, and what needs to be done to attempt to fix the
>> 	situation."
>>
>> http://mail-index.netbsd.org/netbsd-users/2006/08/30/0016.html
>>

> Looks like the NetBSD foundation is kicking out a number of developers:
>
> http://mail-index.netbsd.org/netbsd-announce/2006/09/01/0000.html
>
> Cut and Paste of the interesting part:
>
> Over the past year, as the last step in the process of reorganization
> of the Foundation that began in 2002, we have made a concerted effort
> to contact those remaining developers without current agreements and
> ensure their continued participation in NetBSD. Despite hundreds of
> hours spent on this process by our volunteers we have not obtained
> agreements from a few people. Our Board and Executive Committee on
> Membership therefore directed that developer access for those without
> agreements be disabled effective Friday, September 1, 2006; all those
> affected by this change were notified one week in advance.
>
> We therefore bid a fond farewell to the following NetBSD developers,
> who have made many significant contributions to NetBSD in the past 13
> years, for which we are very grateful. We expect that as time and
> circumstances permit, we may see many of their faces again, along with
> the 346 others who help make NetBSD what it is today:
>
>     Lennart Augustsson
>     Matt Debergalis
>     Brian C. Grayson
>     Charles M. Hannum
>     Matthias Pfaller
>     Dante Profeta
>     Darren Reed
>     Kazuki Sakamoto

With all the civil wars that have taken place in the open source world,
I'm a little shocked when submerged civil wars like this become press
release material.

This is somewhere between some people losing commit privileges and the
OpenBSD split. . . and it's being portrayed as the former, but seems to
be more of the later.

I really don't know why the NBSD Foundation would be publicizing this. . .